Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Mary Ann Glendon Declines Medal At Notre Dame

Ambassador Mary Glendon has declined the Laetare medal given each year at Notre Dame.


Photobucket

The Laetare medal was established in 1883 and is considered one of the oldest and most prestigious awards that can be given to an American Catholic. Ambassador Glendon showed her deep Christian values, ethics, and morals in declining the Laetare.

In a letter to Father Jenkins at Notre Dame declining the medal Ambassador Glendon wrote:

"When you informed me in December 2008 that I had been selected to receive Notre Dame's Laetare Medal, I was profoundly moved. I treasure the memory of receiving an honorary degree from Notre Dame in 1996, and I have always felt honored that the commencement speech I gave that year was included in the anthology of Notre Dame's most memorable commencement speeches..more...

No comments:

Post a Comment